Essential oils are not only about pleasant aroma, they are much more than that. Not only they have been saving us from different viruses since ages, but also act on your mind and body and calm you down. But do you know that essential oils can be more powerful than expected and end up being harmful to your body? Well, most of you will not believe it because, for most of us, essential oils are a life-saver and have only protected us from our daily problems.
How can they harm us?
Essential oils are highly concentrated and can be harmful if not used properly. This does not mean that we should avoid using essential oils, but they should be used intelligently to ensure absolute health safety, as the benefits cannot be ignored. It takes:
· 256 pounds of peppermint leaf to make one pound of peppermint essential oil.
· 150 pounds or more of lavender flowers to make one pound of lavender essential oil.
· Thousands of pounds of roses to make 1 pound of rose essential oil.
Safety guidelines for essential oils
· Essential oils should be used only after dilution: Lavender and Tea tree oils are the only oils that can be used in their undiluted form, but for rest of them, they must be diluted before applying to the body. Undiluted essential oils may harm your sensitive skin or you may face major health issues.
· Some essential oils should be ignored during pregnancy: Using essential oils is a risky task as it may harm the baby in the initial three months. You must consult a doctor during the pregnancy period and should completely avoid essential oils like aniseed, birch, camphor, sage, tansy, wintergreen, and murwort.
· Less is enough: As we know, essential oils are very concentrated; using a small amount of essential oil will also work for you. If it is recommended to use 1-2 drops of essential oil, then do not exceed the limit as this might harm you.
· Are all essential oils good for aromatherapy? No: Yes, it is true that oils like pennyroyal, onion, camphor, rue, and almond are not good for aromatherapy if you are using them at home. These oils should only be used by professional aroma therapists in proper amount.
· Keep your essential oils away from the children: Even though essential oils have a very attractive smell and your child might want to taste it. Keep these oils away from your children’s reach.
Your safety is in your hands and although essential oils are safe and natural, it is really important to follow the usage recommendations. Just use them in directed amount with proper precautions. Use essential oils for healthy living and stay safe.