Essential oils can prove to be as effective and useful to a non-pregnant individual as to an individual during pregnancy days. It is a great pity that many of us are living with misconception that using essential oils during pregnancy is not safe and hence should be avoided throughout pregnancy—which is not true. In fact, essential oils can prove to be really beneficial during pregnancy when used safely with proper precautions. Essential oils also help the prospective mother with more natural pregnancy and childbirth.
Benefits of using essential oils during pregnancy
- Stretch marks: Want to reduce the change of stretch marks and itchy skin? Add few drops of neroli essential oils to your carrier oil and massage yourself during pregnancy
- Uplift yourself emotionally: You may feel emotionally low or stressed out during pregnancy. In order to release your stress, a warm bath can do wonders for you. Add a few drops of essential oil to your bath, rub and relax.
- Pain reliever: Headaches are common during pregnancy, so if you are suffering from major headache, then essential oils like, peppermint and lavender can reduce your pain.
- Labor: Fear and anxiety during labor is very common in pregnancy. Peppermint and sage are the best oils which can relax your mind and can help you to overcome your fear and anxiety.
- Deal with Nausea: Dealing with nausea associated with morning sickness can be tough during pregnancy. Essential oils like peppermint or ginger can help you to relief the nausea. Ginger can also help you to deal with vomiting.
Which essential oils should be used during pregnancy and why?
Here is a list of essential oils with their benefits which are safe to use at the time of pregnancy:
· Calendula – skin irritations, minor infections, wound healing
· Chamomile – muscular pain, labor, morning sickness, perineum healing
· Clary Sage – muscular pain, headaches, labor
· Cypress – edema, prevent stretch marks
· Ginger – morning sickness
· Juniper Berry – edema
· Lavender – muscular pain, headaches, labor, stress, perineum healing
· Mandarin – prevent stretch marks, stress, and depression
· Neroli – anxiety, prevent stretch marks, depression
· Peppermint – headaches, morning sickness, nausea, alertness
· Witch Hazel – apply the hydrosol to hemorrhoids and varicose veins
· Yarrow – apply the hydrosol for postpartum healing
Which essential oils should be avoided during pregnancy?
It is not safe to use all the essential oils during pregnancy and they should be avoided as they may harm you or your baby in the womb. Essential oils like Almond – bitter, Basil, Black pepper, Cedarwood, Chamomile, Cinnamon, Clove, Fennel, Horseradish, Jasmine, Lemon, Lemongrass, Mustard, Myrrh, Nutmeg, Oregano, Peppermint, Pine, Rose and Rosemary should be avoided during pregnancy.
If you have a personal or family history of miscarriage, then it is important to consult your doctor or health practitioner before using any essential oil. Take all the precautions to ensure no health risks at the time of pregnancy, and birth of a healthy newborn.